Join our 1,296,793 Subscribers

Get Hottest Naija News straight to your inbox!

165,554FansLike
68,466FollowersFollow
984,000FollowersFollow

BUZZING

Home News Atiku Blows Hot As He Reacts To Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa

Atiku Blows Hot As He Reacts To Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa

- Advertisement -

Former Vice President of Nigeria, Atiku Abubakar has condemned the recent attacks launched on Nigerians by South Africans.

South African mobs launched attacks on foreign residents, especially Nigerians, and burnt and looted their places of work on Sunday, September 1, and Monday, September 2 2019.

3 people were also reportedly killed in the attacks in the Jeppestown area of Johannesburg. However, it’s unclear if they were Nigerians.

“Nigerian-owned businesses were seriously affected. A car sales business owned by a Nigerian were among the several businesses set ablaze over the night.

“Although the Police said that many people had been arrested in connection with the unnecessary attacks, the looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses continued till Monday morning,”

The President of the Nigerian Union South Africa (NUSA), Adetola Olubajo, said in a statement.

See some photos of the affected car business below:-

xenophobia-2-700x391

The attacks have led to widespread anger among Nigerians who have taken to social media to call on the Federal Government to take significant actions against South Africa.

READ MORE: South African Deputy Minister Of Police Defends Xenophobic Attacks (Watch Video)

Atiku, a candidate in the 2019 presidential election, added his voice to calls on his Twitter account on Tuesday, September 3, urging for urgent steps to be taken to address the situation.

“Reported attacks against Nigerians in South Africa is unacceptable and stands condemned.

“Urgent steps need to be taken with the SA authorities and the African Union to bring an end to this ill wind that can only end up destroying the fabric of our African brotherhood,” – Atiku Posted

See a screenshot of his tweet below:-

Nigerians have battled xenophobic attacks in South Africa for years, with at least 127 believed to have been killed over the past three years.

At least 13 of those were documented to have been killed by officers of the South African Police Service (SAPS).

It was revealed last week that four SAPS officers have been arrested in connection to the death of Pius Abiazem, a Nigerian businessman.

Abiaziem reportedly died while he was being interrogated by a team of police officers at his home in Eastern Cape on August 23, 2019.

While holding a bilateral meeting with Nigerian president, Muhammadu Buhari, on the sidelines of the 7th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) last week, South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, said his government is working to end the attacks.

“We feel very upset about that. Obviously, our criminal justice system is working on it. We don’t support killings,”

Ramaphosa said.

The two leaders are expected to discuss the issue at more length during Buhari’s official visit to South Africa in October.

zara
Zara is a prolific journalist and the Head of Content in the 36Naija Newsroom. He loves sports, politics, and music. He was recruited into the 36Naija team due to his wealth of experience. For your press releases and promotions, reach out to him on +2348061122538.

JUST IN

BIAFRA: ‘Muhammadu Buhari Must Release Sowore’ – Nnamdi Kanu Urges UN

The leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, has told the United Nations to mediate on President Muhammadu Buhari's refusal to...

Naira Marley’s Fraud Trial Set To Start Next Month

Controversial Nigerian music star, Azeez Fashola aka Naira Marley will be back in court on October 22nd for the commencement of his fraud trial. 36NAIJA...

Former Chelsea Player, Didier Drogba Named As Ballon D’or Ambassador

On Thursday, Didier Drogba was chosen as the France Football’s Ballon d’Or ambassador according to 36Naija Sports. The Cote D'Ivoire star will co-host the award...

Ycee Attacks Tinny Entertainment For Not Paying Him His Royalties

Nigerian rapper, Ycee has taken to his Instagram handle to slam his former record label, Tinny Entertainment for not paying him after the music...

Victor Lindelof Extends Manchester United Stay

Manchester United defender, Victor Lindelof has signed a new 5-year contract at the club. The 25-year-old Swedish international has committed his long-term future to Old...

Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Speaks After Meeting With UN Officials (Photo)

The leader of the proscribed Indigenous People Of Biafra, IPOB, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu has finally reacted to the news of meeting with the United...

3 Islamic Clerics Dupe and Gang-Rape Female Victim In Ogun State

3 self-acclaimed Islamic clerics who specialize in scamming unsuspecting members of the public have been apprehended by the Ogun state police command. The suspects, who...

Kenyan Preacher Conducts Deliverance By Giving Members Hot Slaps (Video)

The video of a Kenyan pastor, James Ng’ang’a is trending on the internet as he conducts a deliverance service for his members by slapping...